TOURS & EVENTS
- February 11. 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. “Looking Through A New Lens, Community Conversations about Race & Equity,” Edina Community Center Normandale Auditorium, sponsored by Edina Public Schools.
- February 18. 2:00 p.m. Augsburg Park Library
- February 23. 12:00 p.m. Tuttle's, Hopkins, MN
- April 3. 10:00 a.m. Stone Crest, Woodbury, MN
- April 10. Rondo Community Library, St. Paul, MN
- May 10. 6:30 p.m. Chanhassen Library, Chanhassen, MN
- November 17. 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Play by Play: Recalling Minnesotans and The Negro Baseball League. Minneapolis Central Library.
- October 19. 10:30 - 11:30 p.m. Concordia University, Buenger Education Center.
- September 27. 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. East Lake Library, Minneapolis
- September 9. 5:00 p.m. Mendota After Hours, Faribault House, at Sibley Historic Site
- September 8. 6:30 – 7:30 p.m., Oakdale Library, Oakdale
- July 23. 12 – 2 p.m. Fair Trade Book Store, book signing, Red Wing
- July 23. 3-4:30 p.m. Presentation at Goodhue County Museum, Red Wing
- July 6 – 8. Presentation & signing in collaboration with the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) Jerry Malloy Negro League Baseball Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- June 4 – September 3. Exhibit displayed, They Played for the Love of the Game: Adding to the Legacy of Minnesota Black Baseball
- June 27. 6:30 p.m. Hosmer LIbrary, Mpls
- May 11. 7:00 p.m. East Side Freedom Library, St. Paul, A conversation with Frank M. White
- May 4. 10:00 a.m. Heritage Park Health & Wellness Center, Mpls, presentation & signing
- April 21. 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. Sumner LIbrary, Mpls, presentation & signing
- April 7. Pioneer Public TV pre-screening of Ken Burns documentary Jackie Robinson, presentation, signing, Slayton, MN
- April 5. TPT, Public TV St. Paul 6:00 pre-screening of Ken Burns documentary Jackie Robinson, panel discussion
- March 23rd. 7pm. Subtext Book Store, St. Paul, MN.
- February 23rd. Book Launch and Celebration! Free program, 6pm - 8pm at the Minnesota History Center, St. Paul, MN. Click to go to the Facebook Event page.
- February 23rd. Roseville Library.
- January 15th. Cretin Derham Hall High School.
- March 16th - June 7th. Ramsey County Historical Society
- March 26th: Opening reception from 6pm - 8pm in the RCHS gallery with light refreshments and comments by curator, Frank White.
- April 23rd: "Baseball Rivals: St. Paul and Bloomington" from 6pm - 8pm in room 408 with presentation by Frank White.
- June 4th: "St. Paul's Oxford Playground: Baseball discussion" from 6pm - 8pm in room 408, with panel discussion to tentatively include speakers: Steve Winfield, Bill Peterson, Sean McKamie, and Debbie Montgomery.
- August - September 2014, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Kansas City, MO. Check back for details!
- July 11 – 15, MLB All Star Fan Fest 2014. Minneapolis Convention Center. Each day 9am – 6pm located within the Negro Leagues exhibit.
- Black History Month! All of February (with the exception of the 22nd, 23rd, 24th), and a special program on the 27th 6pm - 9pm. Program includes performance on Branch Rickey, Jackie Robinson, the early history of the Minnesota Twins and Minneapolis Millers, and the MN Black Baseball Exhibit. Don't miss prizes and special appearances! Bloomington Civic Plaza. Map.
- February 2nd 2pm - 4pm – Rondo Community Outreach Library, Map.
- January 20th 6pm - 7pm - Martin Luther King Celebration at Dr. Martin Luther King Recreation Center, Minneapolis. Map.
- Cottage Grove Library**
- Forest Lake Library**
- Woodbury Library**
- 30th Annual Rondo Days “kickoff event” at Hallie Q. Brown, St. Paul
- February 10th. Ramsey County and City of St. Paul Black History Month Employee Events
- Family Fun Festival at Hallie Q. Brown, St. Paul
- Opening exhibit at MAAM (Minnesota African American Museum) – partial exhibit.
- Maplewood Library*
- Belle Plaine Library*
- Fridley Library*
- New Prague Library*
- Prior Lake Library*
- Shakopee Library*
- Burnsville Library*
- St. Paul Rondo Library
- 8th Circuit Judicial Annual Conference at Target Field
- Academy of Holy Angels Black History Month
- February 25th - October 30th. Grand Opening & tour – Landmark Center, St. Paul
- Minnesota Twins Emerging Markets Jackie Robinson Day
*Exhibition hosted by MELSA Member Libraries, and funded by Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Center.
**Exhibition sponsored by Washington County Library and supported with Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Legacy funds.
PRESS & MEDIA
- June 10. Toni Stone Documentary.
- July 25. Woodbury Bulletin. Learning from legends: Woodbury man pens a chronology of black baseball in Minnesota, by Mathias Baden.
- July 25. Podast with Ian Kahanowitz Genesis on the Heavy Hitter Network (Attleboro, MA)
- June 2. Twins Daily, They Played for the Love of the Game, by Sarah Johnson.
- June Issue. MPRP Magazine.
- May 28. ESPN 1500 Saturday Sports Talk with Pat Reusse
- May 26. White Plains Calbe TV, with John Voperian (NY)
- May 9. KFAI Radio with Tom O'Connell, Truth to Tell
- May 8. Pioneer Public Television, Postcards. (Segment starts at 17:05)
- May 5. "Baseball pioneer: Remembering Billy Williams." Chaska Herald by Mark W. Olson
- March 21. WCCO Radio with John Hines.
- March 18. Almanac, TPT TV
- March 12. WCCO Radio with Mike Max.
- February 23rd. The history of black baseball in Minnesota. MPR Radio.
- February 22nd. Fox 9 News with Dan Stevens.
- February 18th. KMOJ Radio 89.9FM with Big Sam.
- February 17th. Writing a Major Wrong. The Villager. (Click image to expand.)
- February 12th. Spring Means New Books. St. Paul Pioneer Press.
- June 17th. Oxford Playground: St. Paul's Field of Dreams. Minnesota Spokesman Recorder.
- August 13th 8pm. A feature segment on TPTs show The Lost Twin Cities. Check your local listings to find TPTs channel! Subsequent air dates:
- 8/13 8pm, channel 2
- 8/16 7pm, channel 2
- 8/17 4am, TPTLIFE
- 8/17 2pm, channel 2
- 8/17 10pm, TPTLIFE
- 8/17 midnight, channel 2
- 8/18 2:30am, channel 2
- July 13, Panel Discussion: the Legacy of Toni Stone. 2014 ASG Fan Fest, presented by mlb.com.
- July 11th, 1:30 pm - Mike Max, WCCO Radio (830).
- February 4th, A nod to black baseball in Minnesota. Star Tribune, Anna Pratt.
- February 14th, 8:40 pm - Mike Max, WCCO Radio (830).
- May 14th – Hidden Story of Minnesota, Woodbury Bulletin, Michael Longaecker.
- July 14th – Baseball History on display at library, New Prague Times, Patrick Fisher.
- July 12th – New baseball exhibit hopes to hit sweet spot with history fans, Burnsville News, Sun Newspapers, Matthew Hankey.
- May 26th – Baseball’s Untold Stories, North Metro TV.
- May 5th – New exhibit at library: “They Played for the Love of the Game – Adding to the Legacy of Black Baseball.” Fridley News – Sun Newspapers, Sarah Peterson.
- May 1st – We Live, Life to the Max! with Mike Max – Barnstorming the Color Barrier, WCCO TV.
- April 15th – Minnesota’s Black baseball players showcased. Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder, Kwame JC McDonald.
- February 25th – The other boys of summer. Star Tribune, Kevin Giles.
- February 24th – David Shama’s, Minnesota Sports. Headliners Worth Noting.
- February 24th – Black baseball in Minnesota: A son’s search for history. MinnPost.com, Pat Borzi.